I think for now, I’m going to focus on finishing up the toadder game and skipping out on 3d sound which Im not quite ready to delve into yet. Im going to stick with some basic volume controls and just work on getting the game going.
Well, been trying to figure out how the hell to get exact to loop a sound.. Didnt realize that when I upgraded to vista, I needed the .net 1.1 framework, so after playing around, I got the new xact project for toadder done, including figuring how to play a random sound using one cue, and getting my background sounds to seamlessly loop. Tomorrow I work on adding volume variables and figuring how to do 3d sound.. I’d like to do panning, but I might put it off on this project. Next goes in the new spritefont.. the one im using now is U G L Y..
Well, I dug back in last night and looked at my sound class, compared it to the basic sound class from the spacewar project and dumped mine.. I’ve replaced the class with that one, and I like how it handles everything. I dont have any real ‘music’ that plays during the game (although I might later), but for sound itself, I was able to get it all implemented WITHOUT the slowdown I was experiencing previously.
Alright, over the past couple years I’ve been taking classes towards a game and simulation programming degree at DeVry University. I usually take 4 classes or so a year, its free, so I do it for fun. One of the things in this c# class they’re going on and on about is class composition and aggregation. Good things to know, but buzzwords none the less. Thats the problem I find with most programming classes, full of buzzwords and stuff you dont hear in everyday usage..
Alright, got a little done on the projects page.. No way to update yet, except for manually, but since I’m rebuilding all these pages by hand, I can’t complain too much with the progress. Contact form also works, so feel free to email.
Well, as I said I was going to dive into the code for Toadder to see what was causing my slowdown. I hadn’t implemented the level timer yet, so I knew that wasnt it. So I just commented out all of the audio PLAY routines.. Soundless, the game runs perfect. With audio, I drop to 10-15 seconds PER FRAME.. Any clues, lemme know.. =( Contact form works now too! Thought!
The sound effects themselves seem to be whats causing my troubles, and it could be because I have a repitive sound effect (the hopping sound) that uses the same cue over and over.. But..
Just thought I’d throw this out there, SpriteFont. Bevels, dropshadows, outlines, glows, you name it. Requires the .net 3.0 framework, but worth it! Check the link for some screenshots and the download!
Well, this past week has seen the pc go from XP to Vista. Got all the vis studio stuff reinstalled and loaded the Toadder code to test.. For those that dont recall, last time I played with it, I was good for 10-15 seconds then there was some extraordinary slowdown, to the point where one frame took 15+ seconds to render..